Add more panels to dashboards
Earlier in this tutorial you ran searches and saved them as reports. In this section, you add the saved reports to an existing dashboard.
Add saved reports to a dashboard
Ensure that you have the Buttercup Games - Purchases dashboard displayed, which you created in the task Create dashboards and panels.
1. To display a list of your dashboards, click Dashboards on the Apps bar and select the Buttercup Games - Purchases dashboard.
2. Click Edit, and select Edit Panels.
3. In the Dashboard Editor, click Add Panel.
- The Add Panel sidebar menu opens on the right side of the window.
4. To add a new panel from a report, click New from Report.
- The list of the reports that you saved opens. The list also shows some built-in reports, such as Errors in the last hour.
5. Select Purchasing trends.
- A preview of the report appears. This is the sparkline chart report that you created.
6. Click Add to Dashboard.
- The new panel is placed in the Dashboard Editor. You can click anywhere outside the Add Panel sidebar to close menu, or choose another report to add to the dashboard.
7. Select the report Comparison of Actions and Conversion Rates by Product and add it to the dashboard.
8. Close the Add Panel sidebar.
9. Rearrange the panels on the dashboard.
- Drag and drop a panel by the panel drag and drop bar, which is at the top of the panel. When you drag a panel, a four pointed arrow symbol appears on the drag and drop bar.
10. Click Done.
- Your finished dashboard should look like this:
Adding a search to an existing dashboard
You can save an ad hoc search as a panel in an existing dashboard.
In the Enabling field lookups section in this tutorial, you created the
prices_lookup. Let's use that lookup to run the following search.
- Click Search in the Apps bar to start a new search.
- Make sure that the time range is set to All time.
- Run the following search to determine the VIP client and the products that the client purchased.
sourcetype=access_* status=200 action=purchase [search sourcetype=access_* status=200 action=purchase | top limit=1 clientip | table clientip] | stats count AS "Total Purchased", dc(productId) AS "Total Products", values(productName) AS "Product Names" BY clientip | rename clientip AS "VIP Customer"
- Click Save As and choose Dashboard panel.
- For Dashboard, click Existing and select Buttercup Games - Purchases.
- For Panel title, type VIP Client Purchases.
- Click Save.
- Click View Dashboard.
- Click Edit.
- In the dashboard editor, drag the VIP Client Purchases panel next to the Top Purchases by Category pie chart.
- Click Save.
The type of panel that you add to a dashboard determines whether you can connect the panel to the shared Time Range Picker.
The Buttercup Games - Purchases dashboard now contains the panels listed in the following table.
|Panel name||Panel source|
|Top Purchases by Category||Ad hoc search|
|Comparison of Actions and Conversion Rates by Product||Report|
|VIP Client Purchases||Ad hoc search|
If the panel is based on an ad hoc search, you can connect the panel to the shared Time Range Picker. If the panel is a report, you cannot connect it to the shared Time Range Picker. Reports can be scheduled to run at a set time interval.
To connect the VIP Client Purchases panel to the shared Time Range Picker:
- In the dashboard panel click the Edit Search icon. The icon looks like a magnifying glass.
- In the Edit Search dialog box, for Time range select Shared Time Picker (BG_Purchases_Time_Range).
- Click Apply.
- In the Edit Dashboard window, click Save to save the changes to the dashboard.
The VIP Client Purchases panel is now connected to the Time range picker input on the dashboard.
When you change the time range on the dashboard, the panels that are connected to the shared Time Range Picker are updated. The searches that the panels are based on are run again to refresh the panels.
More dashboard actions
After you complete the dashboard, you can Export to PDF and Print the dashboards using the buttons in the upper right corner of the dashboard window.
You can also share the dashboard with other users by changing the dashboard permissions.
Congratulations! You have completed the Search Tutorial.
To learn more, see Additional Resources.
Create dashboards and panels
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11