Edit a visualization to configure its search, type, appearance, and behavior. You can edit visualizations from the Dashboard Editor or on the Search page. In either location, you can adjust the following visualization components.
|Search string||Use the dashboard search editor or the search bar to change the query driving the visualization.|
|Type||Use the Visualization Picker to select a visualization type. Ensure that the query generates results in the proper structure for the selected visualization.|
|Format and behavior||Use the Format menu to adjust appearance, drilldown, and other settings for the visualization's user interface.|
Formatting and other options vary by visualization type. To compare visualizations, see the Visualization reference. For details on writing queries for different visualizations, see Data structure requirements for visualizations.
For information on using Pivot to edit visualizations, see Design pivot charts and visualizations with the Pivot Editor.
Visualization editing workflow
The workflow for editing a visualization search, type, or format is slightly different depending on whether you use the Dashboard Editor or the Search page.
- In the Search and Reporting app, select the Dashboards tab.
- Locate the dashboard to edit. Use one of the following options.
Option Additional steps for this option Select Edit > Edit Panels. None Click on the dashboard name to view it. After the dashboard opens, select Edit > Edit Panels.
- In the panel you are editing, locate the icons for editing the search, visualization type, and format. Select the icon for the component you are editing.
- Edit the selected visualization component.
Dashboard editing permissions
Write permission is required for editing dashboard panels. By default, you have write permission for any dashboard that you create. However, you might have read-only access to other dashboards. Admins may change editing permissions.
- In the Search and Reporting app, select the Search tab.
- Enter a query.
- When results are available, select the Visualization tab.
- To edit the visualization, use one of the following tools.
Tool Description Visualization Picker Change the visualization type. Format menu Change the visualization format and behavior. Format options vary by visualization type. Search bar Edit the query and rerun it to refresh the visualization.
Format menu configurations are applied immediately to visualizations.
- Each edit that you make is saved to the visualization. You can see each change in the visualization and make adjustments as you go.
- Edits are reflected in the dashboard Simple XML source code as they are made.
- Click and drag the Format menu to move it anywhere on the screen.
- Close the Format menu or click anywhere outside of it to exit and save changes.
Each visualization has a set of configuration properties. These properties define the visualization's user interface. From a dashboard or the Search page, use the Format menu to adjust these properties and change appearance or behavior.
For more details on visualization properties, see
Create and edit forms with the Dashboard Editor
Convert a dashboard to HTML
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11