Upload the tutorial data
This tutorial uses a set of data that is designed to show you the features in the product. Using the tutorial data ensures that your search results are consistent with the steps in the tutorial.
You must have the tutorial data files on your computer.
Use the Add Data wizard
- If you are not on the Splunk Home page, click the Splunk logo on the Splunk bar to go to Splunk Home.
- Locate the Add Data icon.
- Splunk Enterprise
- a. In the Explore Splunk Enterprise panel, click Add Data.
- Splunk Cloud
- a. If the Welcome to the Splunk Free Cloud Trial! window is displayed, close the window.
- b. Click Settings > Add Data.
- Click Upload.
- Under Select Source, click Select File to browse for the
- Select the file and click Open.
- Note: Because you specified a compressed file, a data source that the Splunk software recognizes, the wizards steps change. The step Set Source Type is skipped. When you load data that is not in a compressed file, you will set the data source type.
- Click Next to continue to Input Settings.
- Under Input Settings, you can override the default settings for Host, Source type, and Index.
- Modify the Host settings to assign the host names using a portion of the path name. The settings that you select depend on the operating system on which you are installing the Splunk software.
- Linux or Mac OS X
- a. Select Segment in path.
- b. Type
1for the segment number.
- a. Select Regular expression on path.
- b. Type
\\(.*)\/for the regex to extract the host from the path.
- Click Review and review your input settings.
- Click Submit to add the data.
- To see the data in the Search app, click Start Searching.
- You might see a screen asking if you want to take a tour. You can take the tour or click Skip.
- The Search app opens and a search is automatically run on the tutorial data source.
- Success! The results confirm that the data in the
tutorialdata.zipfile was indexed and that events were created.
- Click the Splunk logo to return to Splunk Home.
You have completed Part 2 of the Search Tutorial.Now you know how to add data to your Splunk platform. Next, you will begin to learn how to search that data. Continue to Part 3: Using the Splunk Search App.
What is in the tutorial data?
Exploring the Search views
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11