Multi-instance deployment DMC setup steps
This topic is an overview of the steps to set up your Distributed Management Console (DMC) to monitor your entire Splunk Enterprise deployment. To configure monitoring on a single instance, see Single-instance DMC setup steps in this manual.
- Decide which instance should host the DMC for your deployment. See Which instance should host the console?
- Make sure your deployment meets the prerequisites, including forwarding internal logs. See DMC setup prerequisites.
- Set search head cluster and indexer cluster labels. See Set cluster labels.
- Add all instances as search peers. See Add instances as search peers to the DMC.
- Set up the DMC in distributed mode. See Configure the DMC in distributed mode.
- If you want to use the DMC forwarder dashboards, see Configure forwarder monitoring for the DMC.
- You can optionally enable preconfigured platform alerts. See Platform alerts.
- You can optionally customize color mappings for the Overview page. Navigate to Distributed Management Console > Settings > Overview Preferences.
Decide where in your deployment to host the Distributed Management Console. See Which instance should host the console?.
How the DMC works
Single-instance DMC setup steps
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11