Configure hybrid search
You can configure an on-premises Splunk Enterprise search head to connect to both a set of on-premises indexers and a Splunk Cloud indexer cluster. The search head can then run hybrid searches that combine on-premises data with data from Splunk Cloud.
To search across both on-premises and Splunk Cloud data, you must run the search from an on-premises search head. A Splunk Cloud search head can only search data on Splunk Cloud.
Hybrid search limitations
The following conditions and limitations apply to hybrid search.
- You must run hybrid searches from an on-premises search head. You cannot run a hybrid search from a Splunk Cloud search head.
- The on-premises search head must run the same version as Splunk Cloud, down to the maintenance level.
- Only ad-hoc searches are supported. Scheduled searches are not supported.
- Hybrid search is not available with any Splunk premium solution, such as Enterprise Security or IT Service Intelligence.
Enable hybrid search
This procedure is valid only for an on-premises standalone search head that is not part of either an on-premises indexer cluster or an on-premises search head cluster.
- Confirm that the on-premises search head is already configured to search across on-premises indexers. To learn how to configure a search head to connect with on-premises indexers, see Deploy a distributed search environment in the Splunk Enterprise Distributed Search manual.
- Confirm that the on-premises search head is running on the same version of Splunk Enterprise as Splunk Cloud, down to the maintenance level. If necessary, upgrade the search head to the Splunk Cloud version.
Go to the Support portal and open a case with Splunk Support to enable hybrid search for your Splunk Cloud instance. Specify that you need:
- a 1 MB Splunk Enterprise license for the on-premises search head that you want to use for hybrid search
- the URI for the master node of the Splunk Cloud indexer cluster
- the security key for the Splunk Cloud indexer cluster
- Install the 1 MB license on the on-premises search head. See Install a license.
Add the following lines to the
server.conffile on the on-premises search head:
[general] site = site0 [clustering] multisite = true master_uri = <master node URI from Support> mode = searchhead pass4SymmKey = <security key from Support>
- Restart the search head.
Run a search command like the following, which retrieves Splunk log events and lists the indexers that the events come from:
index = _* | stats count by splunk_server.
If hybrid search is configured correctly, indexers from both your Splunk Enterprise and your Splunk Cloud deployments are listed in the results.
Configure SAML single sign-on (SSO) to Splunk Cloud
Install apps in your Splunk Cloud deployment
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 7.1.3, 7.2.3