Calculates the 'eventtype' field for search results that match a known event type.
typer command is a distributable streaming command. See Command types.
By default, the
typer command looks at the first 10000 characters of an event to determine the event type. You can override this default in your search by specifying
maxlen=<int> with the
typer command. For example:
... | typer maxlen=300
Changing the default for maxlen
Users with file system access, such as system administrators, can change the default setting for
- Only users with file system access, such as system administrators, can change the default setting for
maxlenusing configuration files.
- Review the steps in How to edit a configuration file in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual.
- You can have configuration files with the same name in your default, local, and app directories. Read Where you can place (or find) your modified configuration files in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual.
Never change or copy the configuration files in the default directory. The files in the default directory must remain intact and in their original location. Make changes to the files in the local directory.
- Open or create a local limits.conf file for the Search app at
- Under the [typer] stanza, specify the default for the
If you are using Splunk Cloud and want to change the default, open a Support ticket.
Force the search to apply event types that you have configured (Splunk Web automatically does this when you view the "eventtype" field).
... | typer
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 7.0.11, 7.0.13, 7.1.3, 7.1.6, 7.2.4, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.2.9, 7.2.10