Overview of developing a private Splunk Cloud app
A Splunk app is a collection of UI elements, knowledge objects, and configurations packaged for a specific technology or use case to make Splunk Cloud immediately useful and relevant to different roles. Apps can be used to gain the specific insights you need from your data sources.
In most Splunk Cloud deployments, you use the default Search & Reporting app to discover insights. However, you might have specific needs that can be addressed by a private app. A private app is a Splunk app tailored to a specific role, user group, or use case that enables users to search, explore, and create based on their specific use case. For example, private apps can improve search performance by limiting searches to knowledge objects assigned to a particular group.
To create a private app, complete the following steps.
- Set up your development environment. See Requirements for Splunk Cloud private app development environment.
- Create a new private app. See Create the private app for Splunk Cloud.
- Customize the private app. See Customize the private app for Splunk Cloud.
- Test the private app. See Test the Splunk Cloud private app.
- Deploy the private app. See Deploy the Splunk Cloud private app.
Once your private app is deployed successfully to Splunk Cloud, you can begin to add the necessary content to the apps, such as dashboards, reports, knowledge objects, and customizations that are useful to your organization.
Once you create an app, you can try advanced development techniques such as creating custom alert actions, visualizations, search commands, and modular inputs.
Guidelines for building a private app for Splunk Cloud
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 8.0.2001, 8.0.2003, 8.0.2004