Install apps in your Splunk Cloud deployment
Splunk apps are composed of pre-built dashboards, reports, alerts, and workflows, optimized for a particular purpose such as monitoring Web servers or network security. Splunk add-ons are a type of app that provide specific capabilities to other apps, such as getting data in, mapping data, or providing saved searches and macros.
Only approved apps and add-ons can be installed in a Splunk Cloud deployment. Approved apps have been examined by Splunk to ensure they comply with the security requirements of Splunk Cloud. To discuss apps that might fit your needs and work well in your deployment, email your Splunk sales representative. For details about developing your own apps, see Build Splunk Apps.
You must be a Splunk Cloud administrator to install and manage apps in your Splunk Cloud deployment.
Before you install apps
When you install an app, your Splunk Cloud deployment might need to restart, making it briefly unavailable to your users. Notify users before you install apps, and consider scheduling installation to avoid inconveniencing your users.
Some installation and upgrade tasks require help from Splunk Support. Contact Splunk Support for the following tasks:
- Install an app that is not available for self-service installation.
- Install an app that is not available from Splunkbase.
- Install premium apps (Splunk Enterprise Security, Splunk App for VMware, Splunk MINT, Splunk App for PCI Compliance, and so on).
Install an app
The procedure for installing apps and add-ons for use with your Splunk Cloud instance depends on the version of Splunk Cloud that you are running. Access the version of this documentation that matches the version of your Splunk Cloud deployment, then follow the directions.
Install and manage an app in a Splunk Cloud deployment
Install an app in a Splunk Cloud deployment as follows:
- From the Splunk Web home page, click the Apps gear icon.
- Click Install Apps.
- Select Install to install an app.
If the app that you want is not listed, or if the app indicates self-service installation is not supported, contact Splunk Support.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
When you install an app with declared dependencies, Splunk Cloud automatically resolves its dependencies through Splunkbase. To learn more about declaring dependencies, see Splunk Packaging Toolkit.
- Consult the app documentation to determine if the app must also be installed on your forwarders. If yes, click Download to download the app package and deploy it manually to your forwarders.
Splunk Cloud admins can perform some app management tasks on the App Management page in a Splunk Cloud deployment.
- To upgrade an app, click Update from the App Browser page or Update Available from the App Management page to install the new version. After you update an app, you cannot revert to an earlier version. If a new version of your app is available, but the update action is not available for your app, open a support case.
- To uninstall an app, go to Apps > Manage apps and click Uninstall. If the Uninstall action is not available for your app, open a support case.
- To display the log of app management activities and the names of the users who performed them, go to Apps > Manage apps and click Install Log.
- For additional app management capabilities, open a support case.
- To configure an app, follow its documentation for instructions. Configure apps only on the node in your deployment where configuration is required.
In Splunk Cloud deployments, inputs must be configured on forwarders under your control.
Configure hybrid search
Manage private apps in your Splunk Cloud deployment
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 8.0.2006, 8.0.2007, 8.1.2008, 8.1.2009, 8.1.2011, 8.1.2012, 8.1.2101