Introduction to the Cloud Monitoring Console
The Cloud Monitoring Console (CMC) lets Splunk Cloud administrators view information about the status of your Splunk Cloud deployment. CMC dashboards provide insight into how the following areas of your Splunk Cloud deployment are performing:
- Data ingestion and data quality
- Forwarder connections
- HTTP Event Collection tokens
- Indexer clustering and search head clustering, if applicable
- License usage
- Upgrade readiness
- User behavior
- Workload management
Locate the Cloud Monitoring Console
To locate the CMC app in your Splunk Cloud deployment, follow these steps:
- From anywhere in Splunk Web, click Apps.
- Click Cloud Monitoring Console.
On the Apps page that you access through Apps > Managed Apps, the CMC is named splunk_instance_monitoring.
Select the correct documentation version for your deployment
Ensure that you are viewing the correct CMC documentation version for your Splunk Cloud deployment. While most of the CMC dashboards are available in versions 7.x and 8.x, the Upgrade Readiness dashboard appears only in 7.x and the Workload Management Monitoring dashboard appears only in 8.x.
To determine the correct CMC documentation for your deployment, follow these steps:
- In the CMC app, click Support & Services > About. The CURRENT APPLICATION area at the bottom of the About page shows the app's version and build numbers.
- In this documentation, select the correct version from the Version dropdown menu in the upper right corner.
Enable platform alerts
CMC provides alerting functionality with preconfigured platform alerts for missing forwarders and skipped searches that you can enable. If either alert is triggered, CMC displays a notification on the Triggered Alerts page. You can also set up custom alerts on the global Searches, Reports, and Alerts page, which is accessible from the Triggered Alerts page. For more information, see Use the Alerts panel.
Troubleshoot the CMC dashboards
If you have any issues with a CMC dashboard, try these methods of troubleshooting:
- Check that any necessary setup is properly configured and enabled. For example, you must first configure the Forwarders Monitoring Setup page to use the Forwarders dashboards.
- If you have a support contract, file a new case using the Splunk Support Portal at Support and Services. Otherwise, contact Splunk Customer Support.
Do not modify any part of a CMC dashboard. Any local changes that you might may break the CMC application and override its automatic update process.
Variables in panel titles
A number of panels in CMC have variable titles. You set the variable when you select a specific filter option in the panel. Panels with variable titles are noted in this manual.
Splunk Cloud documentation site
For more information about features and functionality of Splunk Cloud, see the Splunk Cloud documentation. The manuals hosted on this site provide comprehensive information on how to configure your deployment, search the ingested data, and create dashboards, visualizations, and reports for your data analysis. This site also hosts the CMC release notes, along with release notes for other Splunk Cloud products.
Configure Splunk Cloud to use SAML for authentication tokens
Use the Overview dashboard
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 8.0.2006, 8.0.2007, 8.1.2008, 8.1.2009, 8.1.2011, 8.1.2012 (latest FedRAMP release), 8.1.2101, 8.1.2103