Install apps on your Splunk Cloud Platform deployment
Splunk apps are composed of pre-built dashboards, reports, alerts, and workflows, optimized for a particular purpose such as monitoring Web servers or network security. Splunk add-ons are a type of app that provide specific capabilities to other apps, such as getting data in, mapping data, or providing saved searches and macros.
Only approved apps and add-ons can be installed on a Splunk Cloud Platform deployment. Approved apps have been examined by Splunk to ensure they comply with the security requirements of Splunk Cloud Platform. To discuss apps that might fit your needs and work well in your deployment, email your Splunk account representative. For information on developing your own apps, see Build Splunk Apps.
You must be a Splunk Cloud administrator to install and manage apps on your Splunk Cloud Platform deployment.
Before you install apps
When you install an app, your Splunk Cloud Platform deployment might require a restart, making it briefly unavailable to your users. Notify users before you install apps, and consider scheduling installation to avoid inconveniencing your users.
Some installation and upgrade tasks require help from Splunk Support. Contact Splunk Support and submit a Cloud App Request for the following tasks:
- Install an app that is not available for self-service installation.
- Install an app that is not available from Splunkbase.
- Install an app on the Inputs Data Manager.
For help with installing Splunk premium apps (Splunk Enterprise Security, Splunk App for VMware, Splunk MINT, Splunk App for PCI Compliance, and so on), contact your Splunk account representative.
See also Splunkbase and private apps in the Splunk Cloud Service Description.
Install and manage apps
To install an app on a Splunk Cloud Platform deployment:
- In Splunk Web, click the Apps gear icon.
- Click Install Apps.
- Select Install to install an app.
If the app that you want is not listed, or if the app indicates self-service installation is not supported, contact Splunk Support.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
When you install an app with declared dependencies, Splunk Cloud automatically resolves its dependencies through Splunkbase. To learn more about declaring dependencies, see Splunk Packaging Toolkit.
- Consult the app documentation to determine if the app must also be installed on your forwarders. If yes, click Download to download the app package and deploy it manually to your forwarders.
Splunk Cloud admins can perform the following app management tasks on the App Management page in a Splunk Cloud Platform deployment:
- To upgrade an app, click Update from the App Browser page or Update Available from the App Management page to install the new version. After you update an app, you cannot revert to an earlier version. If a new version of your app is available, but the update action is not available for your app, open a support case.
- To uninstall an app, go to Apps > Manage apps and click Uninstall. If the Uninstall action is not available for your app, open a support case.
- To display the log of app management activities and the names of the users who performed them, click Apps > Manage apps, then click Install Log.
- For additional app management capabilities, open a support case.
- To configure an app, consult the app's documentation for instructions. Configure apps only on the nodes in your deployment where configuration is required.
On Splunk Cloud Platform deployments, inputs must be configured on forwarders under your control.
Store expired Splunk Cloud data to a Splunk-managed archive
Manage private apps in your Splunk Cloud deployment
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk Cloud™: 8.0.2006, 8.0.2007, 8.1.2009, 8.1.2011, 8.1.2012 (latest FedRAMP release), 8.1.2101, 8.1.2103, 8.2.2104, 8.2.2105, 8.2.2106