About adding data to Splunk Light
This section discusses options for getting data into Splunk Light and the Splunk Light cloud service. You can add data inputs from files and directories, network ports, scripted inputs, and from Splunk universal forwarders.
When you add data, the indexer processes it and stores it in an index. Indexes reside in flat files on your Splunk Light instance. By default, data you feed to an indexer is stored in the main index, but you can create and specify other indexes for different data inputs.
How to add data
In Splunk Light, use the Add Data view to Upload files from your computer, Monitor files and ports on this Splunk indexer, and Forward data from a universal forwarder. The Splunk Light cloud service does not support Monitor inputs.
For more information about adding data, see:
- About source types and input settings
- Upload a file
- Forward data to Splunk Light using Microsoft Windows
- Forward data to Splunk Light using Linux
- Forward data to Splunk Light using Mac OS
Access your Data settings
You can use the sidebar navigation to access your Data settings.
- The Add-ons view displays all the Splunk Light compatible add-ons that you have downloaded on your instance. You can use this view to install, enable and disable, or browse for new add-ons.
- The Data inputs view displays all the data sources that you have added to this Splunk Light instance. You can enable, disable, and add new data inputs from this view.
- The Data receiving view displays your configuration for receiving data from one or more Splunk forwarders. You can also view the receiving data as an input in the Data inputs view.
- The Indexes view displays all the indexes you have on this Splunk Light instance. You can enable or disable indexes and create custom indexes from this view.
Manage account settings in Splunk Light
About source types and input settings for Splunk Light
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Light: 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4