Install Splunk Light using Mac OS X
You can install Splunk Light on Mac OS X using the DMG package, which is the graphical installer, or the .tgz file.
You can download Splunk Light from Splunk.com.
Do not install Splunk Light on a system that currently has Splunk Enterprise installed.
Install Splunk Light using the graphical installer
1. Double-click the DMG file to launch the Splunk Light installer.
2. Double-click the Install Splunk icon on the installer launch view.
The Introduction dialog displays, which lists version and copyright information.
3. Click Continue.
4. Read the software license agreement and click Continue.
5. Click Agree to accept the software license agreement terms.
6. On the Installation Type dialog, select one of the following:
- For a standard installation, click Install.
- To change the installation location, click Change Install Location and select a new location to install the software. Click Continue and Install.
A separate dialog displays asking you to confirm you want to install new software.
7. Enter your operating system password and click Install Software.
The Summary view displays indicating the installation is complete and successful.
8. Click Close.
A separate dialog displays indicating Splunk needs to perform a brief initialization.
9. Click OK.
10. Click Start and Show Splunk to launch the Splunk Light user interface.
The installer places a shortcut to Splunk Light on your Desktop.
Install Splunk Light using the .tgz file
1. Move the .tgz file to the directory where you want to install Splunk Light.
For example, to install it into
mv splunk_package_name.tgz /Applications
2. In the installation directory, use the
tar command to expand the file.
tar xvzf <splunk_package_location_dir> /splunk_package_name.tgz
3. Start Splunk Light.
splunk/bin/splunk start --accept-license
Install Splunk Light using Windows
Install Splunk Light using Linux
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Light (Legacy): 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.1612 (cloud service only), 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3