Manage dashboard permissions in Splunk Light
This topic discusses managing permissions for creating, viewing, and editing dashboards and dashboard panels.
Manage dashboard permissions by role
Depending on your role, either user or admin, there are different options for managing dashboard permissions as follows.
User role options
If you have the
user role and its default capabilities, you can do the following.
- Create dashboards that are private to you.
- Provide other users with read and write access to the dashboard.
Admin role options
If you have the
admin role and its default capabilities, you can do the following.
- Create dashboards that are private or shared.
- Provide other users and roles with read and write access to the dashboard.
Specify permissions for a new dashboard
When you create a new dashboard, you can configure permissions. Choose one of the following options.
- Only you have permission to view and edit the dashboard.
- The dashboard is not visible to other users.
- The dashboard is available to other users.
- Depending on their permissions, other users can edit the dashboard.
Permissions needed for editing a dashboard
Write permission is required for editing dashboard panels. By default, you have write permission for any dashboard that you create. However, you might have read-only access to other dashboards. Admins can change editing permissions.
Permissions needed to access dashboard panel searches
The search that drives a dashboard panel can run using the permissions of the user who created the search (the search owner), or a user who views the dashboard (a search user). Depending on the access that you want to provide, you can adjust the permissions context for the search in the Reports listing page.
- Locate the search on the Reports page.
- Click the gear icon on the report.
- Select Edit Permissions to change whether the search runs with the owner or user context.
Edit dashboard permissions
After creating a dashboard, you can change the permissions.
- From the Dashboards page, select the dashboard for which you want to edit permissions.
- Click the gear icon and select Edit Permissions.
- (Optional) Edit Global read and write permissions.
Edit dashboards in Splunk Light
Generate PDFs and printing dashboards in Splunk Light
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Light: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.1612 (cloud service only), 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3, 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4