Install Splunk Light using Windows
The topic includes instructions for installing Splunk Light on Windows using the MSI package.
You can download Splunk Light from Splunk.com.
Before you install
Do not install Splunk Light on a system that currently has Splunk Enterprise installed.
Choose the Windows user Splunk should run as
When you install Splunk Light on Windows, the software provides an opportunity to select the Windows user that it should run as. The user that Splunk Light runs as determines what Splunk Light can monitor.
- The Local System user has access to all data on the local machine by default, but nothing else.
- A user other than Local System has access to whatever data you want, but you must give the user that access before you install Splunk Light.
For more information about Windows users, see Choose the Windows user Splunk should run as in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual. The user you choose has specific ramifications on what you need to do prior to installing the software.
Splunk Light for Windows and antivirus software
Software with a device driver that intermediates between Splunk Light and the operating system can impact the performance of your Splunk Light instance. In the case of antivirus software, you can configure it to avoid on-access scanning of Splunk Light installation directories and processes before you install.
Install Splunk Light using the MSI package
1. Double-click the MSI installer file.
The installer runs and displays the Splunk Light Installer panel.
2. (Optional) To view the license agreement, click the View License Agreement button.
3. To continue the installation, select Check this box to accept the License Agreement.
This activates the Customize Installation and Install buttons.
4. (Optional) Click Customize Options to change any of the following default settings.
- The Splunk Light installation directory. By default, this directory is
\Program Files\Splunkon the system drive (the drive that booted your Windows system.)
- The management and web ports for Splunk Light. By default, the management port is
8089and the Web port is
- The type of user. By default, Splunk Light runs as the Local System user.
5. Create a password for the Splunk Light
admin user by entering a password that meets the minimum eligibility requirements shown in the panel and click Next.
6. Click Install to install Splunk Light with the defaults.
The installer runs and displays the Installation Complete panel.
7. (Optional) Select Launch browser with Splunk and Create Start Menu Shortcut.
8. Click Finish.
Start and launch Splunk Light
If you checked the box in Step 6 of the installation, Splunk Light starts and launches in a supported browser after the install finishes. This step also creates a short cut for Splunk Light in the Windows Start Menu: Splunk Light > Splunk Light. When you select this short cut, Splunk Light starts and launches in a supported browser, pointing to http://localhost:8000.
You can also start Splunk Light using the Windows Services Manager. To access Splunk Light after you start it from the Windows Services Manager, open a browser and navigate to http://localhost:8000, or the host name and web port you set during installation.
Log in using the default credentials: username:
admin and password:
The first time you log into Splunk Light successfully, it prompts you right away to change your password. You can do so by entering a new password and clicking the Change password button, or you can click Skip and change your password later.
System requirements for Splunk Light
Install Splunk Light using Mac OS X
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Light (Legacy): 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, 7.3.5, 7.3.6