Monetize and license your content
Listing your content on Splunkbase as a Directory Listing allows you to specify any licensing or fee you choose. For more information about Directory Listings on Splunkbase, refer to "Options for submitting content" in this manual.
Potential ways to monetize your content include:
- Make your content available for free download and collect leads to market your product (often, an app/add-on is connector between another product and Splunk).
- Make your content available for free download and collect leads for customer research for future content development.
- Make your content available as a trial version, collect leads from trial downloads and sell them the full, paid version of your app.
- Make your content available for a fee, using an integration with your own ecommerce platform that uses Splunk's Entitlement API to provision access.
- Make your content available for download with no fee, but configure it to require a license key available from your website for activation.
License choices for content hosted on Splunkbase
You can designate your own end-user license, or you can choose our default "Splunkbase Developer Distribution License".
Access guidance on choosing an Open Source license for your content at Choose A License.
You can also select other license types.
- Apache 2
- BSD 3-Clause
- GNU Affero GPL 3.0
- GNU GPL 2.0
- GNU GPL 3.0
- GNU Lesser GPL 2.1
- Lesser GPL
- MIT/X11 License
- MPL 2.0
Submitting content with Restricted access
If you're planning to charge for your content, or want to restrict access to it for another reason (perhaps you're running a Beta program, for example), you can specify that its access level is restricted. What this means:
- When your app or add-on is approved and published on Splunkbase, the Download button on your product page will send interested users to a specified URL.
- On your end, you must set up a site at the URL you specify so that interested users can perform a purchase transaction, or at least provide you with their splunk.com user ID.
- You can then either use the Splunkbase Entitlement API to tell Splunkbase which users can download your content, or you can specify them on the Manage App page for your content.
App support types
Naming conventions for apps and add-ons on Splunkbase
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Answers and Splunkbase: splunkbase