This topic discusses the basic steps required to install Splunk on a computer. We strongly suggest that you read this topic and the contents of this chapter first before performing an installation.
The following list provides concepts and details on what you need to install Splunk:
1. Review the system requirements for installation. Specific additional requirements might apply based on the operating system you install Splunk on.
3. Download the correct installation package for your system from the Splunk download page.
4. Perform the installation using the step-by-step installation instructions for your operating system.
5. After you've installed Splunk, you can calculate how much space you will need to index your data. Read "Estimate your storage requirements" for additional information.
6. If you plan to run Splunk in a production environment, review "Hardware capacity planning for your Splunk deployment" in this manual for insight into the amount of hardware a Splunk deployment requires.
If you're upgrading from an earlier version of Splunk, read "How to upgrade Splunk" in this manual for information and specific instructions.