Configure inputs for the Splunk Add-on for Symantec DLP
There are two ways to capture the syslog data from Symantec DLP.
1. Create a file monitor input to monitor the syslog file generated by the Symantec DLP server or to monitor the files generated by a syslog aggregator.
2. Create a TCP or UDP input to capture the data sent on the port you have configured in Symantec DLP.
Note: For information about timestamp processing options for syslog events, see Syslog and timestamps in Splunk Add-ons.
To configure the Splunk platform to monitor the syslog file generated by the Symantec DLP server, you can use either Splunk Web to create the monitor input or configure
inputs.conf directly. If you use a syslog aggregator, you can create a file monitor input to monitor the files generated by the aggregator.
Configure Monitoring through Splunk Web
Configure a file monitoring input on your data collection node for the Symantec DLP syslog file.
- Log into Splunk Web.
- Select Settings > Data inputs > Files & directories.
- Click New.
- Click Browse next to the File or Directory field.
- Navigate to the syslog file generated by the Symantec DLP server and click Next.
- On the Input Settings page, next to Source type, click Select. In the Select Source Type dropdown, select Network & Security, then symantec:dlp:syslog or type symantec:dlp:syslog in the search field.
- Click Review.
- After you review the information, click Submit.
You can create an
inputs.conf file and configure the monitor input in this file instead of using Splunk Web.
- Using a text editor, create a file named
- Add the following stanza and lines, replacing
<path>with the actual path to the syslog file, and save the file.
[monitor://<path>] sourcetype=symantec:dlp:syslog disabled = 0
- Restart the Splunk platform in order for the new input to take effect.
In the Splunk platform node handling data collection, configure the TCP/UDP input to match your configurations in Symantec DLP and set your source type to
symantec:dlp:syslog. The CIM mapping and dashboard panels are dependent on this source type.
For information on how to configure a Splunk forwarder or single-instance to receive a syslog input, see Get data from TCP and UDP ports in the Getting Data In manual.
Validate data collection
After you configure the input, run this search to check that you are ingesting the data that you expect.
Configure Symantec DLP to send syslog data
Troubleshoot the Splunk Add-on for Symantec DLP
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Supported Add-ons: released