About the Splunk Add-on Builder
The Splunk Add-on Builder helps you build and validate add-ons for your Splunk platform deployment. The Splunk Add-on Builder is ideal for:
- Splunk admins who would like to onboard additional data into the Splunk platform.
- Developers who are looking for a tool to help them build and validate a Splunk add-on.
How an add-on helps you use the Splunk platform
An add-on is a reusable Splunk component that you build to perform a function in your Splunk deployment, such as getting a unique set of system data in and out of the Splunk software.
Add-ons can include any combination of:
- custom configurations
- data inputs
- custom reports or views
- themes that can change the look and feel of the Splunk platform.
Your add-on can be used in multiple apps, suites, or solutions.
Specialized add-ons help to collect, transform, and normalize data feeds from specific sources in your environment. Specialized add-ons are often referred to as Technology Add-ons, and can include some of the following functions:
- Knowledge management components that make the data easy to use. Examples include field extractions, transforms, and lookups,
- Knowledge mapping components that normalize the data to the Common Information Model. Examples include event types and tags.
- Configurations and/or tools that gather data from a source.
For more about apps and add-ons, see Develop Splunk Apps on the Splunk Developer Portal.
How the Splunk Add-on Builder can help you
The Splunk Add-on Builder guides you through the process of creating an add-on. The goals of the Splunk Add-on Builder are to:
- Guide you through all of the necessary steps of creating an add-on
- Build alert actions and adaptive response actions for Splunk Enterprise Security
- Reduce development and testing time
- Follow best practices and naming conventions
- Maintain CIM compliance
- Maintain quality of add-ons
- Validate and test the add-on, helping you to check for certification readiness and to identify any limitations such as compatibilities and dependencies
- Maintain a consistent look and facilitate branding
- Package the add-on and helps you get ready to submit it for certification
Learn more and get help
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Add-on Builder: 4.1.1, 4.1.2
Feedback submitted, thanks!