Start an investigation in Splunk Enterprise Security
You can start an investigation in several ways in Splunk Enterprise Security.
- Start an investigation from Incident Review while triaging notable events. See Add a notable event to an investigation.
- Start an investigation with an event workflow action. See Add a Splunk event to an investigation.
- Start an investigation from the Investigations dashboard.
- Start an investigation when viewing a dashboard using the investigation bar.
By default, users with the ess_admin and ess_analyst roles can start an investigation.
Start an investigation from the Investigations dashboard
Start an investigation from the Investigations dashboard.
- Click Create New Investigation.
- Type a title.
- (Optional) Type a description.
- Click Save.
Start an investigation from the investigation bar
When viewing dashboards in Splunk Enterprise Security, you can see an investigation bar at the bottom of the page. You can use the investigation bar to track your investigation progress from any page in Splunk Enterprise Security.
The investigation is loaded in the investigation bar.
Investigations in Splunk Enterprise Security
Add details to an investigation in Splunk Enterprise Security
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise Security: 4.7.0, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.7.3, 4.7.4, 4.7.5, 4.7.6