Compatibility between forwarders and Splunk Enterprise indexers
The following table shows which versions of forwarder and indexer are compatible. A best practice is to use indexers with versions that are the same or higher than forwarder versions.
Determine forwarder-indexer compatibility
The following table shows the versions of forwarder and indexer that can be used together. As a best practice, use indexers that are the same or higher version than the forwarders.
- An X in a cell indicates that this version of forwarder can send event data to the corresponding version of indexer.
- An M in a cell indicates that this version of forwarder can send both event data and metrics data to the corresponding version of indexer.
- An S in a cell indicates that this version of forwarder can send data to this version of indexer after you change the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)/Transport Layer Security (TLS) version and cipher suite on the forwarder.
- An empty cell indicates that Splunk does not support sending any type of data from this version of forwarder to the corresponding version of indexer.
This table lists version 5.0 for informational purposes only. Version 5.0 forwarders are technically compatible with higher versions of indexer, but Splunk does not provide support for version 5.0 software. Version 5.0 reached its End of Life on November 30, 2017.
|5.0 (not supported)||6.0-6.1||6.2-6.6||7.x|
|5.0 (not supported)||X||X||S||S|
Metrics forwarding compatibility
Metrics indexing from forwarders is supported only if both indexers and forwarders are at version 7.0.0 or later. There is no support for forwarding metrics data from a 6.6 or earlier forwarder to a 7.0 indexer.
Forwarding compatibility with other features
The following features are available only if both indexers and forwarders are at version 6.x or higher:
- Dynamic file headers.
- Forwarding of structured data.
- Timezone transmission by the forwarder. Additionally, forwarders do not maintain the timezone transmission feature across intermediate forwarding tiers when those tiers consist solely of light or universal forwarders.
For app-specific compatibility restrictions, see the app documentation on Splunkbase.
Example forwarder deployment topologies
How to forward data to Splunk Light
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Universal Forwarder: 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.2.9, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2