Install the universal forwarder software
Before you install a universal forwarder, you must get the correct version for your operating system. You can download the universal forwarder for Windows and different versions of *nix.
To find out which operating systems the universal forwarder supports, see the system requirements page in the Installation manual. Then proceed to the universal forwarder download page and download the correct forwarder for your operating system and application.
After you download the forwarder installation package, follow the installation topic that matches your installation requirements most closely. During or immediately after the installation, you also perform configuration. Each installation topic contains one or more use cases that cover specific scenarios from installation through configuration and deployment.
Install the universal forwarder on Windows
You have several options for installing the universal forwarder on Windows. Choose the one that best fits your application.
- Install a Windows universal forwarder from an installer. This is the most common method, where you use a MSI package to install the software.
- Install a Windows universal forwarder from the command line. This method lets you perform more configuration than the installer method.
- Install a Windows universal forwarder remotely with a static configuration. Use this method if you want to install the universal forwarder on a system image that you can clone to multiple hosts.
Install the universal forwarder on *nix
- Install a *nix universal forwarder. This is the most common method, where you use a tar file or other package to install on a *nix host.
- Install a *nix universal forwarder remotely with a static configuration. Use this method when you want to install the universal forwarder on a system image that you can clone to multiple hosts.
Enable a receiver
Consolidate data from multiple hosts
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Universal Forwarder: 126.96.36.199, 8.2.4, 8.2.5