Before you upgrade Splunk IT Essentials Work
Before you upgrade IT Essentials Work (ITE Work) to the latest release, follow the steps in this topic. Splunk Cloud Platform customers have to work with Splunk Support to coordinate upgrades to ITE Work.
Check admin role inheritance
Make sure the Splunk admin role inherits from the itoa_admin role. The default settings for admin role inheritance for ITE Work are contained in authorize.conf. Problems can occur if you modify these settings in a local version of the file.
Check KV store size limits
The limit of a single batch save to a KV store collection is 500 MB. Check the total amount of data your entities contain, and, if necessary, increase the KV store size limit in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/local/limits.conf. This setting controls the maximum size, in megabytes (MB), of the results that are returned for a single query to a collection.
- Only users with file system access, such as system administrators, can increase the KV store size limit.
- Review the steps in How to edit a configuration file in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual.
Never change or copy the configuration files in the default directory. The files in the default directory must remain intact and in their original location.
- Open or create a local limits.conf file in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/local/.
- Increase the
max_size_per_result_mbvalue in the
[kvstore] max_size_per_result_mb = [new value]
Review known issues and changes
Review the following topics before you upgrade ITE Work:
- Compatible versions of the Splunk platform. See Splunk Enterprise system requirements.
- Hardware requirements. See Planning your hardware requirements.
- Known issues with the latest release of ITE Work. See Known issues in IT Essentials Work in the Release Notes Manual.
Recommendations for upgrading IT Essentials Work
Upgrade both the Splunk platform and ITE Work in the same maintenance window. See the Splunk Enterprise system requirements to verify which versions of ITE Work and Splunk Enterprise are supported with each other.
- Upgrade Splunk Enterprise to a compatible version.
- Upgrade Splunk platform instances.
- Upgrade ITE Work.
- Review, upgrade, and deploy add-ons.
Upgrading ITE Work deployed on a search-head cluster is a multistep process. See Upgrade IT Essentials Work in a search-head cluster environment in this manual.
Install ITE Work in a search head cluster environment
Upgrade Splunk IT Essentials Work on a single instance
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Essentials Work: 4.9.0, 4.9.1, 4.9.2, 4.9.3, 4.9.4, 4.9.5, 4.9.6, 4.11.0, 4.11.1, 4.11.2, 4.11.3, 4.11.4, 4.11.6, 4.13.0, 4.13.1