Delete inactive entities
When you stop data collection for a system or a system stops sending data to the Splunk App for Infrastructure (SAI) for another reason, the system still displays as an entity in SAI. SAI does not automatically remove inactive entities. Once you start collecting data from a system, it appears as an entity in SAI until you manually delete it.
If you delete an inactive entity but do not stop the data collection agents from sending data to SAI, the system reappears as an entity if it sends data to SAI again. To permanently remove an entity, you must stop data collection and then delete the entity.
- You have administrator capabilities in SAI.
- (Optional) You have administrator access to systems you want to permanently delete from SAI.
Follow these steps to delete inactive entities. Optionally, you can first stop data collection from a system to permanently delete an entity.
- (Optional) For each entity that you want to permanently remove, stop data collection on the system. To do so, see Stop data collection on Splunk App for Infrastructure. If you delete an inactive entity but do not stop data collection, it appears as an active entity if the system starts sending data again.
- In Splunk Web, open SAI.
- Go to the Investigate tab.
- In the filter bar, enter
Status: inactiveto see all entities with an
- Select each entity you want to delete. To select all inactive entities, check the entity selection box in the heading row.
- Click Bulk Actions and select Delete Selected Entities.
Manage and debug the local server in Splunk App for Infrastructure
Integrating the Splunk App for Infrastructure with ITSI
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® App for Infrastructure: 1.4.0, 1.4.1