Add and edit roles with Splunk Web
When you create users, you assign them to roles that determine the level of access to Splunk Enterprise and the tasks that they can perform. Splunk Enterprise comes with a set of default roles that you can use. You can also create your own.
For information about roles and how capabilitites and permissions are inherited, see About role-based user access.
Note: Custom roles that inherit from Admin or Power users do not automatically inherit management access. For information about granting management access to custom roles, see Add access controls to custom roles.
Add or edit a role
To create or edit roles in Splunk Web:
1. Click Settings > Access Controls.
2. Click Access controls page click Roles.
3. Click New or select and edit an existing role. Role names must use lowercase characters only. They cannot contain spaces, colons, or forward slashes.
4. In the Inheritance section, select roles that you want your new role from which you want to inherit capabilities and properties. A user assigned to multiple roles inherits properties from the role with the broadest permissions. See Role inheritance in the About role-based user access topic for more information.
5. In the Capabilities section, choose any individual capabilities you want to provide to this role. See About defining roles with capabilities for more information.
6. In Indexes searched by default specify the indexes that this role will automatically search if no index is specified in the search.
7. In Indexes select indexes the user is allowed to search. If you add at least one index, a user with this role will only be able to conduct searches on the index or indexes selected. If you do not specify any indexes at all, the user assigned to the role is able to search all indexes.
8. Click Save.
Search filter format
The Search filter field can include any of the following search terms:
- search fields
You can use wildcards. Use
OR to allow multiple terms, or
AND to make the filter more restrictive.
The search terms cannot include:
- saved searches
- time operators
- regular expressions
- any fields or modifiers that Splunk Web can overwrite
About defining roles with capabilities
Add and edit roles with authorize.conf
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.2.0, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, 6.2.3, 6.2.4, 6.2.5, 6.2.6, 6.2.7, 6.2.8, 6.2.9, 6.2.10, 6.2.11, 6.2.12, 6.2.13, 6.2.14, 6.2.15, 6.3.0, 6.3.1, 6.3.2, 6.3.3, 6.3.4, 6.3.5, 6.3.6, 6.3.7, 6.3.8, 6.3.9, 6.3.10, 6.3.11, 6.3.12, 6.3.13, 6.3.14, 6.4.0, 6.4.1, 6.4.2, 6.4.3, 6.4.4, 6.4.5, 6.4.6, 6.4.7, 6.4.8, 6.4.9, 6.4.10, 6.4.11, 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.5.7, 6.5.8, 6.5.9, 6.5.10, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 6.6.5, 6.6.6, 6.6.7, 6.6.8, 6.6.9, 6.6.10, 6.6.11, 6.6.12, 7.0.0