Configure the Monitoring Console in distributed mode
This topic is a step in the process of setting up the monitoring console for a distributed Splunk Enterprise deployment.
To configure, perform the following steps:
- Log into the instance on which you want to configure the monitoring console. The instance by default is in standalone mode, unconfigured.
- In Splunk Web, select Monitoring Console > Settings > General Setup.
- Turn on Distributed mode.
- Confirm the following:
- The columns labeled instance and machine are populated correctly and populated with values that are unique within a column.
- The server roles are correct,. For example, a search head that is also a license master should have both primary and major roles marked. If not, click Edit to correct.
- A cluster master is identified if you are using indexer clustering. If not, click Edit to correct.
Make sure anything marked as an indexer is really an indexer.
- (Optional) Set custom groups. Custom groups are tags that map directly to distributed search groups. You might find groups useful, for example, if you have multisite indexer clustering in which each group can consist of the indexers in one location, or if you have an indexer cluster plus standalone peers. Custom groups are allowed to overlap. For example, one indexer can belong to multiple groups. See Create distributed search groups in the Distributed Search manual.
- Click Apply Changes.
If you add another node to your deployment later, click Settings > General Setup and check that these items are accurate.
Reset server roles after restart
After you configure the monitoring console in distributed mode, a restart of the instance hosting the monitoring console can cause any changes to server role settings on the instances you are monitoring to be lost.
To properly reset server roles after restart of the distributed monitoring console:
- Click Settings > General Setup > Reset All Settings > Refresh.
This restores the monitoring console to its original default configuration.
- Click Distributed.
- For the remote instances whose server roles you want to change, click Edit.
- Select or remove the specific server roles. Click Save.
- Click Apply Changes.
To configure the monitoring console for forwarders, see Configure forwarder monitoring for the Monitoring Console.
Configure Monitoring Console in standalone mode
Configure forwarder monitoring for the Monitoring Console
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.5.7, 6.5.8, 6.5.9, 6.5.10, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 6.6.5, 6.6.6, 6.6.7, 6.6.8, 6.6.9, 6.6.10, 6.6.11, 6.6.12, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, 7.0.9, 7.0.10, 7.0.11, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3, 7.1.4, 7.1.5, 7.1.6, 7.1.7, 7.1.8, 7.1.9, 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2