Installing Splunk Enterprise on a host is the first step in realizing value from your data. Read this topic and the contents of this chapter before you begin an installation.
- See the system requirements for installation. Additional requirements for installation might apply based on the operating system on which you install Splunk Enterprise and how you use Splunk Enterprise.
- (Optional) See Components of a Splunk Enterprise deployment to learn about the Splunk Enterprise ecosystem, and Splunk architecture and processes to learn what the installer puts on your machine.
- See Secure your Splunk Enterprise installation and, where appropriate, secure the machine on which you will install Splunk Enterprise.
- Download the installation package for your system from the Splunk Enterprise download page.
- Perform the installation by using the installation instructions for your operating system. See Installation instructions.
- (Optional) If this is the first time you have installed Splunk Enterprise, see the Search Tutorial to learn how to index data into Splunk software and search that data using the Splunk Enterprise search language.
- (Optional) After you install Splunk Enterprise, calculate the amount of space your data takes up. See Estimate your storage requirements in the Capacity Planning Manual.
- To run Splunk Enterprise in a production environment and to understand how much hardware such an environment requires, see the Capacity Planning Manual.
Upgrade or migrate a Splunk Enterprise instance
In many cases, you can upgrade Splunk Enterprise over an existing version.
- To upgrade from an earlier version of Splunk Enterprise, see How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise in this manual for information and specific instructions.
- For information on migrating from one version to another, see the "About upgrading - READ THIS FIRST" topic for the version that you want to upgrade to.
- To move a Splunk Enterprise instance from one host to another, see Migrate a Splunk instance.
What's in this manual
System requirements for use of Splunk Enterprise on-premises
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.7, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, 7.0.9, 7.0.10, 7.0.11, 7.0.13, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3, 7.1.4, 7.1.5, 7.1.6, 7.1.7, 7.1.8, 7.1.9, 7.1.10