Splunk Web is the primary user interface for searching, problem investigation, reporting on results, and administrating Splunk deployments. This topic discusses how to find the pages in Splunk Web that you need to complete this tutorial.
About Splunk Home
Splunk Home is the initial page in Splunk Web. Splunk Home is an interactive portal to the data and applications that you can access from this Splunk Enterprise instance. The main parts of the Splunk Home page are the Apps panel, the Explore Splunk panel, and the Splunk bar.
The following screen image shows the Splunk Home page for Splunk Enterprise. Splunk Cloud has a similar Home Page.
The Apps panel lists the applications that are installed on your Splunk instance. The list shows only the apps that you have permission to view.
When you first open Splunk Web, you see Search & Reporting and 7.0 Overview in the Apps panel. The Search & Reporting app is sometimes referred to as simply the Search app. The 7.0 Overview" is an app that contains information about the new and updated features in the 7.0 version. There might be other apps listed on the Apps panel if other applications are installed on your computer.
The Data Model and Pivot editors are part of the Search & Reporting app.
Explore Splunk panel
The Explore Splunk panel contains links to pages where you can get help.
- Splunk Cloud
- You can take a product tour or access the documentation that is used the most.
- Splunk Enterprise
- You can take a product tour, add data, browse for new apps, or access the documentation.
The Splunk bar appears on every page in Splunk Web. You use this bar to switch between apps, configure your Splunk deployment, view system-level messages, and monitor the progress of search jobs.
- Click Search & Reporting.
- When you are in an app, the Applications menu displays in the Splunk bar. Use this menu to switch between apps.
- We will explore the Search app in detail. For now, let's return to Splunk Home.
- Click the Splunk logo on the Splunk bar.
- Regardless of where you are in an app, you can always click the Splunk logo to return to Splunk Home.
Continue to the next topic to add the tutorial data to your Splunk deployment.
What you need for this tutorial
Load the tutorial data
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, 7.0.9, 7.0.10, 7.0.11, 7.0.13
Feedback submitted, thanks!