Install Splunk Enterprise securely
Verify integrity and signatures for your Splunk Installation when you download and install Splunk Enterprise.
Verify your Splunk Enterprise download using hash functions such as Message Digest 5 (MD5) and Secure Hash Algorithm-512 (SHA-512) to compare the hashes. Use a trusted version of OpenSSL.
This procedure helps you compare the MD5 hash of the installation file you download from the Splunk website against the expected hash of the file. The tools you use to compare the files might be different based on the operating system that you run. You might need to download these tools before verifying the MD5 hash.
- Download the installation package for the platform and version of Splunk software that you want.
- On the "Thank you for downloading" page, click the link to the MD5 hash file for this package.
- Open a shell prompt or Terminal window.
- Print the contents of the MD5 hash file.
cat splunk-x.x.x-xxxxxxxxxxxx-Linux-x86-64.tgz.md5 MD5 (splunk-x.x.x-xxxxxxxxxxxx-Linux-x86_64.tgz) = c63c869754d420bb62f04f4096877481
- Run the
md5tool against the installer package.
md5 splunk-x.x.x-xxxxxxxxxxxx-Linux-x86-64.tgz MD5 (splunk-x.x.x-xxxxxxxxxxxx-Linux-x86_64.tgz) = c63c869754d420bb62f04f4096877481
- Compare the output of both commands.
- If the hashes match, then you have confirmed that the installation package that you downloaded is the same as what is on the splunk.com website.
1. Copy Link name of download
2. Append SHA512
Verify the authenticity of the downloaded RPM package by using the Splunk GnuPG Public key.
- Download the GnuPG Public key file. (This link is over Transport Layer Security (TLS).)
- Install the key.
rpm --import <filename>
- Verify the package signature.
rpm -K <filename>
Secure your system before you install Splunk Enterprise
More ways to secure Splunk Enterprise
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.7, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, 7.0.9, 7.0.10, 7.0.11, 7.0.13, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3, 7.1.4, 7.1.5, 7.1.6, 7.1.7, 7.1.8, 7.1.9, 7.1.10, 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.2.9, 7.2.10, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, 7.3.5, 7.3.6, 7.3.7, 7.3.8, 7.3.9