You need to have familiarity with the Splunk platform in order to install and configure this add-on. If you are new to using Splunk Enterprise or to Splunk Cloud, see the Additional Resources topic in this manual.
Do the following before you install or configure the AWS add-on:
- Make sure you have a Splunk Cloud deployment that is installed, running, and meets the hardware capacity requirements specified in the Splunk Enterprise Capacity Planning manual.
- Make sure you have access to Splunk Web.
- Make sure your user role permits app installation.
AWS account prerequisites
In order to set up your AWS configuration to work with your Splunk Platform deployment, make sure you have the following AWS account privileges:
- A valid AWS account with permissions to configure the AWS services that provide your data.
- Permission to create IAM roles and users. This lets you set up accounts or EC2 IAM roles with the ability to collect data from your AWS services.
AWS region limitations
The Splunk Add-on for AWS supports all services offered by AWS in each region. To learn which geographic regions around the world support which AWS services, see the region table on the AWS global infrastructure page.
In the AWS China region, the add-on only supports the services that AWS supports in that region. For an up-to-date list of what products and services are supported in this region, see the AWS Products page.
For an up-to-date list of what services and endpoints are supported in AWS GovCloud region, see the AWS documentation: Services in AWS GovCloud (US) Regions.
Network configuration requirements
The Splunk Add-on for AWS makes REST API calls using HTTPS on port 443.
Splunk platform requirements
All Splunk platform requirements apply to the Splunk software that you use to run this add-on.
- To run this add-on entirely in Splunk Cloud, there are no additional Splunk platform requirements.
- To manage on-premise heavy forwarders to get data into Splunk Cloud, see System Requirements in the Installation Manual in the Splunk Enterprise documentation, which includes information about forwarders.
- To run this add-on in an on-premises deployment of Splunk Enterprise, see System Requirements in the Installation Manual in the Splunk Enterprise documentation.
- To run this add-on in a self-managed AWS instance, there are no additional requirements. See the Splunk Enterprise, self-managed in the cloud page for more information on sizing considerations specific to AWS.
For information about installation locations and environments, see Install the Splunk Add-on for AWS.
Configure Amazon Web Services to collect data
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.3.0, 7.3.1