Create new dashboards or edit existing ones.
For a quick glance at the most common use cases and commands for creating dashboards, note that you can access the Splunk Dashboards Quick Reference guide by clicking the link in Getting started.
The dashboard and form workflow
Working with dashboards includes one or more of the following tasks.
- Create a new dashboard
- Add new visualizations to a dashboard
For more information on building dashboards, see Create a dashboard
- Add a panel to a dashboard
- Edit dashboard panels and panel visualizations
- Manage dashboard searches
For more information on editing dashboards, see Edit dashboards
Convert a dashboard to a form
- Add user inputs to a dashboard to convert it to a form
- Edit forms
- Work with user input settings
For more information on forms, see Create and edit forms
Customize Simple XML
- Edit Simple XML source code to customize a dashboard or form.
For more information on using Simple XML, see Editing Simple XML
Add interactive and dynamic behavior
- Use tokens to capture and transfer data.
- Add event handlers to implement dynamic behavior.
Tools and frameworks
To build and edit dashboards, use one or more of the following tools and frameworks.
Dashboard editor user interface
Build and edit dashboards using the Splunk Web user interface.
Dashboards use Simple XML source code to define their content and behavior. You can use the dashboard editor in Splunk Web to edit this source code.
To learn more, see Editing Simple XML.
Splunk Enterprise users can implement additional dashboard customizations with Dashboard Studio, which autogenerates source code from the UI that you can then modify.
For more information, see the following Splunk developer portal resources.
- Modify dashboards using Simple XML
- About SplunkJS stack
- Create dashboards and visualizations with the Splunk Web Framework
- Convert Simple XML dashboards to HTML
Splunk will deprecate support for HTML dashboards in the near future. Splunk does not recommend converting Simple XML dashboards to HTML.
The Dashboard Examples app on Splunkbase provides many dashboard implementation examples, including source code. Install the app to view and interact with the example dashboards.
The following dashboard framework options are deprecated as of version 6.3.0:
- Advanced XML
- Module System (Deprecated as part of Advanced XML).
For information on other customization options, see: Building customizations for the Splunk platform
The following dashboard framework options is removed as of version 7.3.0.
|Option||For more information see|
|Django Bindings||Removed features in the Splunk Enterprise 7.3.0 Release Notes.|
Use trellis layout to split visualizations
About the dashboard editor
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, 7.3.5, 7.3.6, 7.3.7, 7.3.8, 7.3.9, 7.3.1, 7.3.0