localize command generates results that represent a list of time contiguous event regions. An event region is a period of time in which consecutive events are separated, at most, by the
maxpause time value. The regions found can be expanded using the
The regions discovered by the
localize command are meant to be fed into the
map command. The
map command uses a different region for each iteration.
localize [<maxpause>] [<timeafter>] [<timebefore>]
- Syntax: maxpause=<int>(s|m|h|d)
- Description: Specify the maximum (inclusive) time between two consecutive events in a contiguous time region.
- Default: 1m
- Syntax: timeafter=<int>(s|m|h|d)
- Description: Specify the amount of time to add to the output endtime field (expand the time region forward in time).
- Default: 30s
- Syntax: timebefore=<int>(s|m|h|d)
- Description: Specify the amount of time to subtract from the output starttime field (expand the time region backwards in time).
- Default: 30s
Expanding event ranges
You can expand the event range after the last event or before the first event in the region. These expansions are done arbitrarily, possibly causing overlaps in the regions if the values are larger than
Event region order
The regions are returned in search order, or descending time for historical searches and data-arrival order for realtime search. The time of each region is the initial pre-expanded start-time.
Other information returned by the localize command
localize command also reports:
- The number of events in the range
- The range duration in seconds
- The region density defined as the
number of events in rangedivided by <range duration -
events per second.
1. Search the time range of each previous result for the term "failure"
... | localize maxpause=5m | map search="search failure starttimeu=$starttime$ endtimeu=$endtime$"
2: Finds suitable regions around where "error" occurs
Searching for "error" and calling the
localize command finds suitable regions around where error occurs and passes each on to the search inside of the
map command. Each iteration works with a specific time range to find potential transactions.
error | localize | map search="search starttimeu::$starttime$ endtimeu::$endtime$ | transaction uid,qid maxspan=1h"
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.7, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, 7.0.9, 7.0.10, 7.0.11, 7.0.13, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3, 7.1.4, 7.1.5, 7.1.6, 7.1.7, 7.1.8, 7.1.9, 7.1.10, 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.2.9, 7.2.10, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.0.0, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, 7.3.8, 7.3.9, 8.0.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 8.0.5, 8.0.6, 8.0.7, 8.0.8, 8.0.9, 8.0.10, 8.1.0, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 8.1.4, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 8.1.8, 8.1.9, 8.1.10, 8.2.0, 8.2.1, 8.2.2, 8.2.3, 8.2.4, 8.2.5, 8.2.6, 8.2.7, 9.0.0, 7.3.5, 7.3.6, 7.3.7