The Guided Data Onboarding documentation assumes you are familiar with the Splunk software. If you are new to using Splunk Enterprise or to Splunk Cloud, see the Additional Resources topic in this manual.
To complete the tasks described in this manual, you must have the following:
- A distributed Splunk Enterprise deployment with indexer clustering enabled that is installed, running, and meets your hardware capacity requirements.
- Access to Splunk Web.
- A user role that permits apps installation.
AWS account prerequisites
In order to set up your AWS configuration to work with your Splunk Platform deployment, make sure you have the following AWS account privileges:
- A valid AWS account with permissions to configure the AWS services that provide your data.
- Permission to create Identity and Access Management (IAM) roles and IAM users. This lets you set up either AWS account IAM roles or Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) IAM roles to collect data from your AWS services.
AWS region limitations
The Splunk Add-on for AWS supports all services offered by AWS in each region. To learn which geographic regions around the world support which AWS services, see the region table on the AWS global infrastructure page.
In the AWS China region, the add-on only supports the services that AWS supports in that region. For an up-to-date list of what products and services are supported in this region, see the AWS Products page.
For an up-to-date list of what services and endpoints are supported in AWS GovCloud region, see the AWS documentation: Services in AWS GovCloud (US) Regions.
Network configuration requirements
The Splunk Add-on for AWS makes REST API calls using HTTPS on port 443. Note that data inputs for this add-on use large amounts of memory. See Performance Reference for the Splunk Add-on for AWS data inputs for more information.
Splunk platform requirements
There are no Splunk platform requirements specific to the Splunk Add-on for AWS.
- To manage on-premise heavy forwarders to get data into Splunk Cloud, see System Requirements in the Installation Manual in the Splunk Enterprise documentation, which includes information about forwarders.
- To run this add-on in an on-premises deployment of Splunk Enterprise, see System Requirements in the Installation Manual in the Splunk Enterprise documentation.
- To run this add-on in a self-managed AWS instance, there are no additional requirements. See the Splunk Enterprise, self-managed in the cloud page for more information on sizing considerations specific to AWS.
For information about installation locations and environments, see Install the Splunk Add-on for AWS.
Configure Amazon Web Services to collect data
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.2.9, 7.2.10, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, 7.3.5, 7.3.6, 7.3.7, 7.3.8, 7.3.9, 8.0.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 8.0.5, 8.0.6, 8.0.7, 8.0.8