Edit a visualization to configure its search, type, appearance, and behavior.
Visualization component editing
You can edit visualizations in the dashboard editor or on the Search page. In either location, you can adjust the following visualization components.
|Search string||Use the dashboard search editor or the search bar to change the query driving the visualization.|
|Type||Use the Visualization Picker to select a visualization type. Ensure that the query generates results in the proper structure for the selected visualization.|
|Format and behavior||Use the Format menu to adjust appearance, drilldown, and other settings for the visualization's user interface.|
Caution: Changing visualization settings in the dashboard editor can overwrite related token settings and behavior. If you are using tokens to configure part of a dashboard or form, use caution when updating related elements in the dashboard editor. For example, if a form input configures chart legend placement, selecting a legend placement in the Format menu overwrites the dynamic token setting from the input. In this case, the input remains in the dashboard but no longer configures legend placement.
Visualization editing workflow
The workflow for editing a visualization search, type, or format is slightly different depending on whether you are editing in the dashboard editor or the Search page.
Dashboard editing permissions
Write permission is required for editing dashboard panels. By default, you have write permission for any dashboard that you create. However, you might have read-only access to other dashboards. Users with the
admin role can change editing permissions.
Edit visualizations in the dashboard editor
- In the Search and Reporting app, select the Dashboards tab.
- Locate the dashboard to edit. Use one of the following options.
Option Additional steps for this option Select Edit. None Click on the dashboard name to view it. After the dashboard opens, select Edit.
- In the panel you are editing, locate the icons for editing the search, visualization type, and format. Select the icon for the component you are editing.
- Edit the selected visualization component.
Edit visualizations on the Search page
- In the Search and Reporting app, select the Search tab.
- Enter a query.
- When results are available, select the Visualization tab.
- To edit the visualization, use one of the following tools.
Tool Description Visualization Picker Change the visualization type. Format menu Change the visualization format and behavior. Format options vary by visualization type. Search bar Edit the query and rerun it to refresh the visualization.
Format menu configurations are applied immediately to visualizations.
- Each edit that you make is saved to the visualization. You can see each change in the visualization and make adjustments as you go.
- Edits are reflected in the dashboard Simple XML source code as they are made.
- Click and drag the Format menu to move it anywhere on the screen.
- Close the Format menu or click anywhere outside of it to exit and save changes.
Formatting and other options vary by visualization type. To compare visualizations, see the Visualization reference. See also Chart Configuration Reference.
For information on using Pivot to edit visualizations, see Design pivot charts and visualizations with the Pivot Editor.
Create and edit forms
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.7, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, 7.0.9, 7.0.10, 7.0.11, 7.0.13, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3, 7.1.4, 7.1.5, 7.1.6, 7.1.7, 7.1.8, 7.1.9, 7.1.10, 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.2.9, 7.2.10, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, 7.3.5, 7.3.6, 7.3.7, 7.3.8, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 8.0.5, 8.0.6, 8.0.7, 8.0.8, 8.0.9, 8.0.10, 8.1.0, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 8.1.4, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 8.1.8, 8.1.9, 8.1.10, 8.1.11, 8.1.12, 8.1.13, 8.2.0, 8.2.1, 8.2.2, 8.2.3, 8.2.4, 8.2.5, 8.2.6, 8.2.7, 8.2.8, 8.2.9, 8.2.10, 9.0.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.0.3, 9.0.4, 7.3.9, 8.0.0, 8.0.1
Feedback submitted, thanks!