Install a license
After you install Splunk Enterprise, you'll have an Enterprise Trial license for 60 days. To continue using all of the features of the product after the trial, you will need to install a Splunk Enterprise license, or change to the Free license. See Switching to Free from an Enterprise Trial license in the Admin Manual.
Add a new license
- Log into Splunk Web.
- Navigate to Settings > Licensing.
- Click Add license.
- Either click Choose file and navigate to your license file and select it, or click copy & paste the license XML directly... and paste the text of your license file into the provided field.
- Click Install. Splunk Enterprise installs your license.
- If this is the first Enterprise license that you are installing, you will be prompted to restart Splunk Enterprise services.
If you install a Dev/Test license with an Enterprise license, the Enterprise license file will be overwritten.
Use the command line to manage licenses
For examples on using the command line to manage Splunk Enterprise licensing, see Manage licenses from the CLI in the Admin Manual.
Learn more about licensing
You can learn about licensing here:
- For an introduction to Splunk licensing, see How Splunk licensing works in the Admin Manual
- For information about allocating license volume across Splunk Enterprise instances, see Allocate license volume in the Admin Manual.
- To compare license types and learn which licenses can be combined, see Types of Splunk software licenses in the Admin Manual.
- To learn about license warnings and violations, see About license violations in the Admin Manual.
About Splunk Enterprise licenses
How to upgrade Splunk Enterprise
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 8.2.0, 8.2.1