Splunk Cloud Platform
Check this manual often for updated information about the Splunk platform Python 3 migration. The content is subject to change.
Splunk Cloud Platform supports Splunk Enterprise version 8.x, which supports both Python 2.7 and Python 3.7. Splunk Cloud Platform will also continue to support prior versions of Splunk Enterprise 7.x, which support Python 2.7 only. Splunk will upgrade all supported apps vetted for Splunk Cloud Platform as soon as they can be made available.
Support for Python 2 -- and for any app that is compatible only with Python 2 -- will be removed from a future Splunk Cloud Platform release. All apps that use Python should be upgraded to Python 3 to continue to be deployed in Splunk Cloud Platform.
What Should I Do Next?
Complete the steps below to ensure all 3rd-party Splunkbase and private apps in your Splunk Cloud Platform instances are Python 3 compatible.
1. Splunkbase apps: all Splunk Cloud Platform customers - whether on 7.x, or 8.x - must install Splunk Cloud Platform 8.x compatible versions of all Splunkbase 3rd-party apps. Please note the following regarding Splunkbase apps and Python 3 compatibility:
- All Splunk Supported apps and add-ons are Python 3 compatible and will be upgraded in your Splunk Cloud Platform environment as needed.
- Any app or add-on that is listed as Splunk Cloud Platform 8.0 compatible is Python 3 compatible.
- Any app or add-on listed as Splunk Cloud Platform 7.x and 8.0 compatible is both Python 2 and 3 compatible.
2. Private apps: all private apps installed in all Splunk Cloud Platform environments need to also be upgraded for Python 3 compatibility. This may apply even if you are already on Splunk Cloud Platform 8.x, since there may be private apps still using Python 2 in your environment. Splunk provides multiple resources to help with the upgrade:
- Identify necessary app changes. Administrators can self-install and run the Upgrade Readiness app in your Splunk Cloud Platform environment to identify all private apps that use Python. App developers can refer to Python development with Splunk Enterprise to identify app features that need to be updated, and Python code compatibility for common code fixes. The Splunk AppInspect API can be used to scan apps for necessary changes, and to validate apps once upgraded.
- Upgrade your apps. Splunk Cloud Platform 7.0.x or 7.2.x customers need to use compatibility libraries to enable upgraded apps to continue to run on Python 2 until their instances are upgraded to Splunk Cloud Platform 8.x and Python 3. Splunk Cloud Platform customers should use the Six compatibility libraries for Python 2 and 3 compatibility.
- To enable better self-service of your apps, leverage the Packaging Toolkit when building your apps.
3. Unused apps: any Splunkbase 3rd-party or private apps that have not been upgraded for Python 3.7 compatibility must be removed from your Splunk Cloud Platform environment.
Apps vetted for Splunk Cloud Platform must be resubmitted for new Cloud vetting after the app has been made Python 3-compatible.
Ensure that private apps and Splunkbase apps are compatible with both Splunk Enterprise version 7.x and version 8.x before submitting them for installation.
Apps for Splunk Cloud Platform will follow the same guidelines as on-premises apps, with the added requirement of passing Cloud vetting.
Python Code Compatibility
Python with Splunk Enterprise Security
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.0.6, 7.0.7, 7.0.8, 7.0.9, 7.0.10, 7.0.11, 7.0.13, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3, 7.1.4, 7.1.5, 7.1.6, 7.1.7, 7.1.8, 7.1.9, 7.1.10, 7.2.0, 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.5, 7.2.6, 7.2.7, 7.2.8, 7.2.9, 7.2.10, 7.3.0, 7.3.1, 7.3.2, 7.3.3, 7.3.4, 7.3.5, 7.3.6, 7.3.7, 7.3.8, 7.3.9, 8.0.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.4, 8.0.5, 8.0.6, 8.0.7, 8.0.8, 8.0.9, 8.0.10, 8.1.0, 8.1.1, 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 8.1.4, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 8.1.8, 8.2.0, 8.2.1, 8.2.2, 8.2.3, 8.2.4