Turning off Splunk platform role-based field filtering
At some point you might want to turn off all of your organization's role-based field filters at one time. When you turn off role-based field filtering, any existing role-based field filters you've set remain in place, but Splunk software ignores configuration information, such as field filters on roles, as well as limits on target hosts, sources, and source types. In addition, when your turn off role-based field filtering, Personal Identifiable Information (PII) and Protected Health Information (PHI) data might be visible in searches.
You can turn role-based field filtering back on whenever you want to use field filtering across your organization again.
Because turning off role-based field filters can expose sensitive data to unauthorized users, make sure that it is safe to turn field filtering off. To further secure your system, only allow certain authorized users to turn off role-based field filtering.
Splunk Cloud Platform
- To turn off role-based field filtering in your environment, request help from Splunk Support. If you have a support contract, file a new case using the Splunk Support Portal at Support and Services. Otherwise, contact Splunk Customer Support.
- To turn off role-based field filtering in your environment, follow these steps.
- Only users with file system access, such as system administrators, can edit configuration files.
- Review the steps in How to edit a configuration file in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual.
Never change or copy the configuration files in the default directory. The files in the default directory must remain intact and in their original location. Make changes to the files in the local directory.
- Open or create a local limits.conf file at $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local.
- In the
[search]stanza, add the line
To turn role-based field filtering back on, change
Limiting role-based field filters to specific hosts, sources, indexes, and source types
Create and manage roles in Splunk Enterprise using the authorize.conf configuration file
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 9.0.0