Install the Upgrade Readiness App
Install the Upgrade Readiness App on all instances of your Splunk platform deployment that run apps or on a single test Splunk platform instance with all your apps installed on it.
The Upgrade Readiness app is installed by default on Splunk Enterprise version 8.2 and higher. If you are on a Splunk Enterprise version prior to 8.2 but after 7.3, you can download the app from Splunkbase to install it on your deployment.
The Upgrade Readiness App is installed by default on Splunk Cloud Platform version 8.2.2107 and higher. You do not need to install or update the app on Splunk Cloud Platform.
Meet the following requirements to use the Upgrade Readiness App:
- Have Splunk Enterprise version 8.0 or higher, or Splunk Cloud Platform version 8.2.2107 or higher.
- Have apps or add-ons installed on your Splunk platform instance.
- Enable the KV store.
- Hold the admin_all_objects capability to install the app on Splunk Enterprise. The admin role holds this capability by default.
- Consider increasing the splunkd session timeout value, depending on the number of custom apps in the environment. For details, see performance considerations.
The Upgrade Readiness App generates a final report that includes all apps after a few cycles of scanning.
On Splunk Cloud Platform, apps that exist only on the remote location do not immediately appear in scan results. All data from all apps on the remote instance are available in the final merged report after a few scans.
On Splunk Enterprise, since the app scanning process runs asynchronously, there is no visible impact on the performance of standalone instances.
The user session timeout limit is 60 minutes by default. To ensure the user session does not timeout during the app scan, increase the session timeout limit before scanning large numbers of apps, as mentioned in the requirements section. For more information, see Configure user session timeouts in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual.
Install the app on a non-clustered Splunk Enterprise instance
To install the app on an non-clustered search head, forwarder, or single-instance Splunk Enterprise deployment, follow these steps:
- Download the Upgrade Readiness App from Splunkbase.
- In Splunk Web, click the gear icon.
- Click Install app from file.
- Locate the app installation package and click Upload.
- Restart your Splunk Enterprise instance.
The app now appears in the list of apps in Splunk Web.
The app previously called the Python Upgrade Readiness App is now renamed to the Upgrade Readiness App because this version of the app includes new jQuery scans in addition to its Python scans. The app name now appears as the Upgrade Readiness App in your deployment, but the file directory and app_id remain the same as previous versions of the Python Upgrade Readiness App.
Install the app on a search head cluster
To install the app on a search head cluster, use the deployer. For detailed instructions, see Use the deployer to distribute apps and configuration updates in the Splunk Enterprise Distributed Search manual.
About the Upgrade Readiness App
Manage permissions for the Upgrade Readiness App
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 8.2.0, 8.2.1, 8.2.2, 8.2.3, 8.2.4, 8.2.5, 8.2.6, 8.2.7, 8.2.8, 9.0.1