Calculates the 'eventtype' field for search results that match a known event type.
typer [eventtypes=<string>] [maxlen=<unsigned_integer>]
- Syntax: eventtypes=<string>
- Description: Provide a comma-separated list of event types to filter the set of event types that
typercan return in the
eventtypesargument filters out all event types except the valid event types in its list. If all of the event types listed for
eventtypesare invalid, or if no event types are listed,
typeris disabled and will not return any event types. The
eventtypesargument accepts wildcards.
- Default: No default (by default
typerreturns all available event types)
- Syntax: maxlen=<unsigned_integer>
- Description: By default, the
typercommand looks at the first 10000 characters of an event to determine its event type. Use
maxlento override this default. For example,
typerto determining event types from the first 300 characters of events.
typer command is a distributable streaming command. See Command types.
Changing the default for maxlen
Users with file system access, such as system administrators, can change the default setting for
- Only users with file system access, such as system administrators, can change the default setting for
maxlenusing configuration files.
- Review the steps in How to edit a configuration file in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual.
- You can have configuration files with the same name in your default, local, and app directories. Read Where you can place (or find) your modified configuration files in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual.
Never change or copy the configuration files in the default directory. The files in the default directory must remain intact and in their original location. Make changes to the files in the local directory.
- Open or create a local limits.conf file for the Search app at
- Under the [typer] stanza, specify the default for the
If you have Splunk Cloud Platform and want to change the default, file a Support ticket.
Force the search to apply event types that you have configured (Splunk Web automatically does this when you view the "eventtype" field).
... | typer
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 8.1.4, 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7, 8.2.0, 8.2.1, 8.2.2, 8.2.3, 8.1.1, 8.1.0