Log in and get started
You now have the Splunk App for VMware installed in your environment and it is configured to collect performance data from your vCenter servers. You can also (optionally) collect syslog data from your ESX/i hosts and from your vCenter Servers and forward the data to the app.
Use the app to proactively monitor and troubleshoot your environment.
- You have a Splunk Enterprise username and password. Use this to log in to the Splunk App for VMware. Contact your system administrator for more information.
- The Splunk App for VMware is set up to run on a search head and you have network access to it.
Log in to Splunk Web
To log into Splunk Web and access the Splunk App for VMware:
- Check that Splunk Enterprise is running in your environment.
- Open a browser and log into Splunk Web on your search head. Access Splunk Web at
http://<hostname>:portwhere hostname is the host system and port is the port you specified during the installation (the default port is 8000).
- Log in using the default login,
- When using a Splunk Enterprise license, launching Splunk Web for the first time takes you to the login screen. Follow the message that asks you to authenticate with the default credentials.
- When you sign in with your default password, you are asked to create a new password. You can either skip this step or create a new password (optional). You do not need to authenticate to use Splunk Enterprise with a free license. In this case, when you start Splunk Web you are directed to the Home page or to the default App for your account.
- Select App > VMware to navigate to the Splunk App for VMware.
- In the Splunk App for VMware, select Home. The Home dashboard provides an overview of the health of your virtualized environment.
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® App for VMware: 3.4.0, 3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3, 3.4.4, 3.4.5