Configure a license slave
This topic discusses configuring a Splunk Enterprise instance as a license slave. Before you proceed, you may want to review these topics:
- Read How Splunk licensing works in this manual for an introduction to Splunk licensing.
- Read Allocate license volume for general information about allocating license volume across Splunk Enterprise instances.
- Read Configure a license master in this manual for instructions on setting up a license master.
Configure the instance as a license slave
1. On the instance that you want to configure as a license slave, log into Splunk Web and navigate to Settings > Licensing.
2. Click Change to Slave.
3. Switch the radio button from Designate this Splunk instance as the master license server to Designate a different Splunk instance as the master license server.
4. Specify the license master to which this license slave should report. You must provide either an IP address or a hostname and the Splunk management port, which is 8089 by default.
5. Click Save.
6. Restart Splunk Enterprise.
Revert to a standalone license on this instance
To switch to a standalone license, where the license is installed locally and is valid only for this instance, navigate to Settings > Licensing and click Switch to local master. If this instance does not already have an Enterprise license installed, you must restart Splunk for this change to take effect.
Configure a license master
Create or edit a license pool
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.5.7, 6.5.8, 6.5.9, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 6.6.5, 6.6.6, 6.6.7, 6.6.8, 6.6.9, 6.6.10, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.0.4, 7.0.5, 7.1.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3