Install a license
This topic discusses installing new licenses. You can install multiple licenses on a Splunk platform license master. Note: If you install a Dev/Test license with an Enterprise license, the Enterprise license file will be replaced.
Before you proceed, you might want to review these topics:
- Read How Splunk Enterprise licensing works for an introduction to Splunk software licensing.
- Read Types of Splunk software licenses to compare license types and learn which licenses can be combined, and which cannot.
Add a new license
To add a new license:
- Navigate to Settings > Licensing.
- Click Add license.
- Either click Choose file and browse for your license file and select it, or click copy & paste the license XML directly... and paste the text of your license file into the provided field. Note: If you install a Dev/Test license with an Enterprise license, the Enterprise license file will be replaced.
- Click Install. If this is the first Enterprise license that you are installing, you must restart Splunk Enterprise. Your license is installed.
Groups, stacks, pools, and other terminology
Configure a license master
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Enterprise: 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.1612 (Splunk Cloud only), 6.5.2, 6.5.3, 6.5.4, 6.5.5, 6.5.6, 6.5.7, 6.5.8, 6.6.0, 6.6.1, 6.6.2, 6.6.3, 6.6.4, 6.6.5, 6.6.6, 6.6.7, 7.0.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3