Hardware and software requirements for the Splunk Add-on for JMX
To install and configure the Splunk Add-on for JMX, you must be member of the Splunk
You must have Java Runtime 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 installed on all machines that collect data from JMX servers.
If you are securing your connection to splunkd, the encryption options supported vary depending on the JRE runtime version you are using. Check that your configuration falls within these parameters.
|JRE version||Supported encryption methods|
|7||SSL v3 or TLS v1.2|
For the Splunk Add-on for JMX to successfully fetch data, the implementation of JDK installed on your heavyweight forwarder should be compatible with the JMX dependant TA.
Refer to the table below to figure out the compatibility of JDK implementation and JMX dependant TA.
|JMX-dependent TA||Open JDK||Oracle JDK||IBM JDK|
The Splunk Add-on for Java Management Extensions supports the following JMX Connectors:
- rmi (JSR160 Standard Implementation and MX4J's JSR160 Implementation)
- iiop (JSR160 Standard Implementation and MX4J's JSR160 Implementation)
- soap (MX4J only)
- hessian (MX4J only)
- burlap (MX4J only)
If you are using Java 8, MX4J protocols are not supported.
JMX server connectivity
If you want to connect to your JMX server from a remote machine, ensure that your JMX server can be accessed by JConsole. If connection fails, ensure that you have specified a hostname property in your JVM arguments list:
-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=<JMX server hostname>
Refer to the documentation for your JMX server for specific instructions.
Splunk platform requirements
Because this add-on runs on the Splunk platform, all of the system requirements apply for the Splunk software that you use to run this add-on.
- For Splunk Enterprise system requirements, see System Requirements in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual.
- For Splunk Light system requirements, see System Requirements in the Splunk Light Installation Manual.
- If you are managing on-premises forwarders to get data into Splunk Cloud, see System Requirements in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual, which includes information about forwarders.
Release history for the Splunk Add-on for JMX
Installation and configuration overview for the Splunk Add-on for JMX
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Supported Add-ons: released