Hardware and software requirements for the Splunk Add-on for Linux
If you want to collect Linux-related data via HEC or TCP, you must first install a CollectD server. CollectD is a daemon which periodically collects system and application performance metrics.
- If you use HEC to receive CollectD data in Splunk, the CollectD server must be version 5.6 or later.
- If you use TCP to receive CollectD data in Splunk, there is no specific version requirement for CollectD.
As a best practice, send your data via HEC.
Splunk platform requirements
Because this add-on runs on the Splunk platform, all of the system requirements apply for the Splunk software that you use to run this add-on.
- For Splunk Enterprise system requirements, see System Requirements in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual.
- If you plan to run this add-on entirely in Splunk Cloud, there are no additional Splunk platform requirements.
- For Splunk Light system requirements, see System Requirements in the Splunk Light Installation Manual.
- If you are managing on-premises forwarders to get data into Splunk Cloud, see System Requirements in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual, which includes information about forwarders.
Release history for the Splunk Add-on for Linux
Installation and configuration overview for the Splunk Add-on for Linux
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Supported Add-ons: released