Configure Splunk DB Connect v3 inputs for the Splunk Add-on for Nagios Core
Collect NDOUtils data via Splunk DB Connect on a heavy forwarder or search head. You must have an MySQL account with privileges to read the NDOUtils database, and the account must be connectable from the location of your data collection node.
These instructions apply only to Splunk DB Connect version 3.1.X. If you are using version 2.X, see Configure Splunk DB Connect v2 inputs for the Splunk Add-on for Nagios Core.
Use the Splunk DB Connect GUI to create a database connection
- Add a Java mysql connector .jar file, such as
mysql-connector-java-5.1.34-bin.jar, into the folder
- Place the driver file called
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers/on the part of your Splunk platform architecture performing the data collection.
- Create an identity in DB Connect. Use the username and password that you use when you log in to your NDOUtils MySQL database.
- Create a connection using the identity you just created for the connection. The database name is the one you specified when installing NDOUtils, and the account you use in the identity must have read privileges.
Refer to Create and manage database connections in the Splunk DB Connect manual for step-by-step instructions for using the GUI to set up a new database connection.
- If you experience any problems while establishing the connection, check the MySQL account and the firewall settings on the machine running MySQL.
- To work around a known bug in Nagios regarding treatment of empty values for timestamps, add the following line exactly as written here to
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/local/db_connection.conf.For more about this known bug, see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11133759/0000-00-00-000000-can-not-be-represented-as-java-sql-timestamp-error.
jdbcUrlFormat = jdbc:mysql://<host>:<port>/<database>?zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull
Configure the inputs using the Splunk DB Connect GUI
If you want to create Nagios Core input, choose the Splunk Add-on for Nagios Core template under Template field of DB Connect.
Configure Splunk DB Connect v2 inputs for the Splunk Add-on for Nagios Core
Troubleshoot the Splunk Add-on for Nagios Core
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Supported Add-ons: released