Hardware and software requirements for the Splunk Add-on for Tomcat
The Splunk Add-on for Tomcat supports multiple data inputs, each capable of collecting different data from your Tomcat servers. For more information about which kind of data you can collect with which input, refer to the source types page.
Collecting local log files
If you want to collect local Tomcat log files, you must install a Splunk Enterprise forwarder or single instance directly on the machine running your Tomcat server, so it can access the logs locally.
Enable the logs you want to collect on the Tomcat server.
For instructions on enabling catalina, localhost, manager, and host-manager logs, see https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.0-doc/logging.html.
For instructions on enabling localhost_access_log, see https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Logging.
Collecting performance metrics from MBean attributes
The following is required if you would like to collect Tomcat server performance metrics from MBean attributes. You need to collect these metrics if you are planning to use Splunk IT Service Intelligence.
- Install the Splunk Add-on for Java Management Extensions (JMX) to your search heads and to at least one heavy forwarder. See the Splunk Add-on for Java Management Extensions documentation for installation and configuration information.
- Enable JMX remote on the Tomcat servers for which you would like to collect performance metrics. This enables the Splunk Add-on for JMX to make the JMX connection to the Tomcat server. See https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-10.0-doc/monitoring.html for information.
- Java Runtime 1.7 or later must be installed on the same machine as the Splunk Add-on for Tomcat.
Splunk platform requirements
Because this add-on runs on the Splunk platform, all of the system requirements apply for the Splunk software that you use to run this add-on.
- For Splunk Enterprise system requirements: see System Requirements in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual.
- For Splunk Light system requirements: see System Requirements in the Splunk Light Installation Manual.
- If you are managing on-premises forwarders to get data into Splunk Cloud, see System Requirements in the Splunk Enterprise Installation Manual, which includes information about forwarders.
About the Splunk Add-on for Tomcat
Installation overview for the Splunk Add-on for Tomcat
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Supported Add-ons: released