Create a setup page
Creating a setup page for your add-on lets users provide information needed to run your add-on without having to edit a configuration file directly. Create a setup page that appears to users when they run your add-on. Use a setup page when:
- Your add-on requires setup parameters.
- You need to authenticate users with a username and password, for example to authenticate a third-party API for a data input.
- You need the user to provide proxy information, for example when you need to use a proxy to make outbound API calls from the add-on.
Add a setup page to your add-on
The Add-on Builder provides a wizard that walks you through the process of creating a setup page and includes the following steps:
Create the setup page
- The Add-on Builder wizard includes an Add-on Setup Parameters tab where you create or edit the setup page for an add-on. Select predefined setup options and define custom text, password, and checkbox inputs.
- Setup parameters can be used in any data input or alert action within the add-on.
- You can use the following setup parameters when you create your setup page.
|Global account settings||Adds a predefined Account tab to the add-on's Configuration page that allows the user to configure multiple accounts, such as one account for production and one for development.|
This Global account setting option is selected automatically when you add a Global Account field as a data input parameter.
|Proxy settings||Adds a predefined Proxy tab to the add-on's Configuration page that allows the user to specify a proxy host, port, username, password, and type.|
|Logging settings||Adds a predefined Logging tab to the add-on's Configuration page that lets the user select the logging level to use for the add-on.|
|Drag and drop different types of inputs from the Component Library to the setup form. These options are displayed on a separate Add-on Settings tab on the add-on's Configuration page. Password fields are automatically obfuscated using the storage password endpoint.|
Test the setup page
- Test the setup page by entering sample values.
View the production version of the setup page
- To access the production version of the add-on's setup page while developing your add-on, open the app in Splunk Web and click Configuration.
For detailed procedures, see:
Configure data collection using your Python code
Add sample data
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® Add-on Builder: 3.0.0, 3.0.1