About the Operating System Module
The Operating System Module (OS Module) improves the service monitoring and diagnostic experience in the Splunk IT Service Intelligence app (ITSI) by:
- Automatically discovering, creating, and merging OS entities that the service uses.
- Providing a rich set of predefined OS Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) with recommended and configurable thresholds that can be used to monitor the health and performance of the OS.
- Providing rich visualization as a contextual drilldown from the Service Deep Dive feature for the OS KPIs that let you further correlate and triage problems that impact OS performance.
The OS module comes with ITSI and needs no configuration itself, but requires specific data to be indexed before it can function.
The module processes data that has been collected from the Splunk Add-ons for Windows and Unix and Linux and exports KPIs based on that data. The Splunk add-ons collect host, network, and other data from computers that you install them on. The correlated data then appears in ITSI as host entities that you can use to define services.
After you define host entities and services, you can then use ITSI to monitor these services and review service trends based on the performance metrics that the Splunk add-ons have collected and the module has correlated. The module helps you understand and act on the data that the hosts that comprise the service you have defined have provided.
To learn how to configure the Splunk add-ons for use with the OS module, see configure the Operating System module in this manual.
The Operating System Module has the same deployment requirements as Splunk IT Service Intelligence.
|Add-on Name||Add-on Version|
|Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux||5.2.4, or 6.0.1 or later|
|Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Windows||5.0.1 or later|
Learn more about the Operating System Module
To learn more about how to use the OS module in ITSI, see the following topics:
- For an overview of module integration with ITSI, see ITSI key concepts and workflow overview in this manual.
- For information on how the OS module helps you discover and create host entities, see ITSI module entity creation and discovery in this manual.
- ITSI module performance and sizing considerations.
- To learn how to troubleshoot problems with dashboards associated with the module not working, see the troubleshooting section of this manual.
Load Balancer module troubleshooting
Operating System Module configurations
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® IT Service Intelligence: 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.5, 4.2.0, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.4.0, 4.4.1, 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.4, 4.4.5, 4.5.0 Cloud only, 4.5.1 Cloud only, 4.6.0 Cloud only, 4.6.1 Cloud only, 4.6.2 Cloud only, 4.7.0, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.7.3, 4.7.4, 4.8.0 Cloud only, 4.8.1 Cloud only, 4.9.0, 4.9.1, 4.9.2, 4.9.3, 4.9.4, 4.9.5, 4.9.6, 4.10.0 Cloud only, 4.10.1 Cloud only, 4.10.2 Cloud only, 4.10.3 Cloud only, 4.10.4 Cloud only, 4.11.0, 4.11.1, 4.11.2, 4.11.3, 4.11.4, 4.11.5, 4.11.6, 4.12.0 Cloud only, 4.12.1 Cloud only, 4.13.0, 4.13.1, 4.14.0 Cloud only