Upgrade to a new version of Splunk App for Infrastructure
Integration with the Splunk App for Infrastructure (SAI) is enabled by default. If you're upgrading ITSI while SAI is already installed in your environment, the SAI version is automatically upgraded to the most recent version.
When you upgrade to a new version of SAI, install the new package directly over your existing deployment in Splunk Enterprise.
Before you upgrade
Learn important information and tips about the upgrade process.
- If you are are monitoring metrics for Windows systems, update Windows Performance Monitor (perfmon) stanzas in
inputs.conffor the Splunk Add-on for Infrastructure and each universal forwarder on a Windows system. There are new perfmon stanzas in version 1.4.0 that migrate perfmon inputs from a log-based format to a metrics-based format. Until you update
inputs.confon every universal forwarder and
props.confon every indexer, you will not receive perfmon data from Windows systems you're monitoring. For more information about updating perfmon stanzas, see Upgrade to a new version of Splunk App for Infrastructure that's monitoring Windows systems.
- If you are upgrading from version 1.2.0 or 1.2.1, remove the
limits.conffile from the
- Review the release notes, known issues, and system requirements for the version you are upgrading to.
- Back up your existing deployment before you perform any upgrade.
- You can manage upgrade risk by using technology that lets you restore your installation and data to a state prior to the upgrade, whether that is external backups, disk or file system snapshots, or other means. When backing up your data, consider the $SPLUNK_HOME directory and any indexes outside of it.
- Downgrading SAI is not supported.
- SAI versions 1.1.x and earlier are not supported in search head cluster and indexer cluster environments. Upgrade and migration is not supported for distributed environments for 1.1.x and earlier versions of the app.
Upgrade to new version of SAI
- Before you upgrade, back up all of your files.
- Obtain a new version of SAI. Go to Splunkbase.
- Open a shell prompt on the host that has the instance that you want to upgrade.
- Change to the
- Run the
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk stopcommand to stop the instance.
- Confirm that no other processes can automatically start SAI.
- Install the package directly over your existing deployment. See Install the Splunk App for Infrastructure.
- Run the
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk startcommand, or go to the user interface and restart the application.
Install the Splunk App for Infrastructure in a Splunk Cloud deployment
Upgrade to a new version of Splunk App for Infrastructure that's monitoring Windows systems
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® App for Infrastructure: 1.4.0, 1.4.1