The requirements for the Splunk MINT App are:
- Splunk Enterprise 6.1 or later is supported, although version 6.2.2 or later is highly recommended due to improvements in data acceleration.
- You must be a Splunk MINT customer. See Get started with Splunk MINT to sign up.
- You must have set up at least one mobile app project in Splunk MINT Management Console, which requires you to use one of the Splunk MINT SDKs to send data from your mobile app to the Splunk MINT Data Collector:
Before you install Splunk MINT App, see the Splunk Enterprise Capacity Planning Manual for information about hardware capacity planning, deployment scaling, hardware recommendations, and performance recommendations.
For reference hardware, see Reference machine for distributed deployments in the Capacity Planning Manual.
Capacity planning for search heads and indexers
Use the following guideline for capacity planning for search heads and indexers:
- Expect an indexing volume of 20GB/day for every 1 million monthly active users (MAU)
The indexing volume of data that is collected by Splunk MINT depends on the complexity of your instrumented mobile apps, the number of sessions, and the length of sessions. Based on your daily indexing volume and the number of Splunk users you expect, use the guidelines in Summary of performance recommendations in the Capacity Planning Manual to plan the capacity for your search heads and indexers.
Capacity planning for heavy/light forwarders
Use the following guideline for capacity planning for heavy/light forwarders:
- Use at least one forwarder with the MINT modular input per 10 million MAU
The MINT Data Collector retains data for up to seven days. That means your infrastructure could be offline up to a week without experiencing data loss.
To avoid data loss, you should properly provision forwarders that run the Splunk MINT modular input, which is part of the Splunk MINT Add-on package, and configure these forwarders to continuously retrieve data from the MINT Data Collector. The MINT Support team will contact you if you need more forwarders due to increased traffic.
Learn more and get help
Install and configure the Splunk MINT App
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk MINT™ App (Legacy): 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.2.0