Install the Splunk ODBC Driver
To install the Splunk ODBC Driver:
- Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package, as described in "Installation Prerequisites".
- Download and unzip the driver. The Splunk ODBC Driver contains both a 32-bit installer and a 64-bit installer. Unless you use the Splunk ODBC Driver with a 64-bit application such as the 64-bit edition of Microsoft Excel, install the 32-bit version of the Splunk ODBC Driver.
- In Excel 2010, click the File tab, and then click Help. The version number under "About Microsoft Excel" will have "(32-bit)" or "(64-bit)" after it.
- In Excel 2013, click the File tab, and then click Account. Under Product Information, click About Excel to open the About Microsoft Excel window. The first line of the window tells you whether this version is a 32- or 64-bit edition.
- Tableau is available only as a 32-bit application.
- Open the appropriate installer, click Next, read the license agreement, and, if you accept the terms, select the top option and click Next.
- (Optional.) Change the default install directory (located in the Program Files directory) and click Next.
- On the Create a Data Source screen, enter the requested information. (To configure the driver later, see "Configuration".)
- Login ID: Enter a user ID for your Splunk server. The user ID doesn't have to be assigned an admin role. For more information about users and roles, see "About users and roles".
- Password: The password field is not enabled. To save the password for your Splunk instance with the ODBC driver, select the Enter and Save Password box, and type your password. If you leave this box unselected and the field empty, you must enter the password every time you connect to the Splunk server.
Note: You must change your Splunk Enterprise user password from the default "changeme" password, or the Splunk ODBC Driver will not connect to your Splunk Enterprise instance.
- Server URL: Enter the URL of the Splunk Enterprise server. This field has the address of a local Splunk server. If the Splunk instance to which you're connecting isn't running locally, enter the Splunk server's address. Include the right scheme (the default scheme is HTTPS), as well as the port number. The default port number is 8089. Do not enter the Splunk Web port (port 8000). If your Splunk setup has a load balancer, enter the address of the load balancer instead. For more information, see "Load Balancer Configuration".
- Click Next, and then click Install. When the install is finished, click Finish.
Important: Install the version of the driver that corresponds to the type of app that you use to connect to Splunk Enterprise—that is, 32-bit or 64-bit. For example, if you are running a 32-bit version of Microsoft Excel, install the 32-bit version of the Splunk ODBC Driver, even if you're running a 64-bit edition of Windows. If you don't know whether you have the 32- or 64-bit version of your app installed, then see the app's "About" screen. To find out whether these applications are 32- or 64-bit, do one of the following:
This documentation applies to the following versions of Splunk® ODBC Driver: 1.0, 1.0.1